When planning an evening out with friends, it is important to always appoint a designated driver to take you from point A to point B if alcohol is involved. You may predict that one beer won’t impair your judgment or significantly increase your Blood Alcohol Level, but the way your body absorbs alcohol varies depending on a variety of factors. These factors range from your body weight to how much food you’ve eaten on a particular day. Moreover, when people estimate of how many drinks it takes to become intoxicated or impaired, they tend to think that more drinks cause less damage than they actually do. See the chart below.
So what Blood Alcohol Level can land you in trouble? It depends on your age and occupation. If you are over the age of 21 and legally able to drink, you will receive a DUI if you receive a breath test which reveals a Blood Alcohol Level of .08 or above. If you operate a commercial vehicle and have a commercial driving license, the threshold for a DUI is even lower. In other words, if you are caught operating a commercial vehicle with a Blood Alcohol level of .04 or above, you are likely to receive a DUI. Lastly, it is common knowledge that if you are under the age of 21, you are not legally permitted to consume any amount of alcohol. Therefore, a breath test which reveals a Blood Alcohol level of .02 more in a minor driver, will likely result in a DUI charge for that individual.
BLUE = Impaired Driver RED = Legally Drunk Driver
|Weight||Number of Drinks|
This table is provided as a reference and it should not be relied upon to determine whether you are capable of operating a motor vehicle. Always keep in mind that there are a number of variables that can influence whether you are legally qualified to drive.
If you or someone you know has received a DUI charge, you need to consult with an experienced DUI attorney like Mustafa Ameen, Esq., or Andrew Shafii, Esq. They are former prosecutors who are committed to defending your rights. For your free consultation, call the Law Office of Ameen and Shafii today at 813-436-4357.
Image credit: Kitipan Oudomsam
- How Many Drinks Does It Take? - April 6, 2015
- Traffic Infractions: A Minor Infraction that May Affect YOU in a Major Way - March 4, 2015
- Probable Cause in a DUI Investigation: How is it determined? - February 17, 2015
- Have You Been Charged With Theft in Tampa? Call the Law Office of Ameen & Shafii Today! - January 26, 2015
- When convicted of a DUI, what is the average sentencing for a first-time offender? - January 20, 2015
- The Holidays Are Right Around The Corner - December 3, 2014
- Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Insurance Coverage and How It Can Benefit You - November 18, 2014
- Is Your Criminal History Affecting Your Life? Seek an Expungement Today and Restore Your Reputation! - August 26, 2014
- Have You Been Involved in an Auto Accident? The Law Office of Ameen & Shaffi is Here to Help! - August 5, 2014
- Pulled over for a DUI?: How Refusing to take the Breath Test Can Affect You - July 29, 2014