On October 16, 2008, my client was arrested for Driving Under the Influence. The Deputy observed his vehicle failing to yield at an intersection almost striking another vehicle. Upon contact with my client, the Deputy smelled the odor of an alcoholic beverage on his breath, observed blood shot eyes and slurred speech. My client conducted field sobriety exercise and the Deputy stated that he observed him losing balance, steadying himself, swaying, and various other indicators of impairment. My client also admitted to smoking “a lot of marijuana.” A urine sample was taken from my client after he was arrested which tested positive for marijuana.If you read the facts above, you would think that my client was guilty of DUI. However, he had many defenses available to him that I was able to explain to the prosecutor. One that was the most important was the issue with the marijuana. The Deputy never asked my client when he smoked the marijuana, he never found marijuana in the car, and never smelled the odor of marijuana in the vehicle. These facts are important, because the prosecutor was trying to prove he was under the influence of marijuana. But these key facts were missing from their case. I set the case for trial, and the prosecutor decided to drop the DUI charge down to reckless driving. My client only had to pay the court costs, no probation, no jail, and no license suspension.
Call me, Tampa DUI attorney Mustafa Ameen, for any questions realted to your DUI case.
- Simple Assault v. Aggravated Assault - April 28, 2015
- Domestic Battery Charge - November 10, 2014
- What Can I Expect if I am Stopped by Law Enforcement While driving on a Suspended License From a DUI Charge - November 3, 2014
- Can Law Enforcement Search My Vehicle Without A Warrant? - October 27, 2014
- Probation: What Follows a Violation? - October 20, 2014
- Florida Habitual Offender or “3 Strikes Law” - September 30, 2014
- First Offense For Possessing a Concealed Weapon Without a Permit - September 22, 2014
- Drug Pretrial Intervention Program Q&As - September 14, 2014
- Have a Safe and Happy Fourth of July Weekend! - July 2, 2014
- Arrested for a Tampa DUI, how you can beat the case. - July 1, 2014