If you get caught driving on a suspended license from a DUI charge in Hillsborough County, you are likely to face a mandatory 10 day jail sentence if convicted. Surrounding counties usually impose more severe penalties which guarantee anywhere from a mandatory 30-60 day jail sentence for driving on a suspended license incurred from a DUI charge. Attorney Andrew Shafii, advises, “Do not drive yours or anyone else’s vehicle while your license is suspended as a result of a DUI. Consequences are severe and include jail time in most cases. Multiple convictions for DUI and Driving with Knowledge of Suspended License (DWLS) charges also lead to enhanceable penalties and will have a lasting impact on an individuals ability to operate a vehicle in the future. These additional criminal charges will only compound the problem and may lead to a defendant becoming a habitual traffic offender.”
Q. How does one become a habitual traffic offender and what are the consequences?
Any combination of 3 DUI or DWLS convictions within a 5 year period will result in a habitual traffic offender label, and a mandatory 5 year suspension of one’s license will follow. If you or someone you know is facing multiple criminal traffic charges in Tampa, call the experienced former prosecutors at the Law Office of Ameen and Shafii today at 813-436-4357.
Image Source: 123ucas / 123RF Stock Photo
- Simple Assault v. Aggravated Assault - April 28, 2015
- Domestic Battery Charge - November 10, 2014
- What Can I Expect if I am Stopped by Law Enforcement While driving on a Suspended License From a DUI Charge - November 3, 2014
- Can Law Enforcement Search My Vehicle Without A Warrant? - October 27, 2014
- Probation: What Follows a Violation? - October 20, 2014
- Florida Habitual Offender or “3 Strikes Law” - September 30, 2014
- First Offense For Possessing a Concealed Weapon Without a Permit - September 22, 2014
- Drug Pretrial Intervention Program Q&As - September 14, 2014
- Have a Safe and Happy Fourth of July Weekend! - July 2, 2014
- Arrested for a Tampa DUI, how you can beat the case. - July 1, 2014